Important Notice:
Come visit my personal website! You can find more about me there. All my profiles links to networking sites I'm in is on there (like Facebook and Twitter), and find what else I am up to besides building GameSquire: The Wonderful World of Gaming.
Dillon Flueck Personal Website

Sunday, June 7, 2009

TurboGrafx-16


TurboGrafix-16
TurboGrafx-16 (appears on top) is NEC's 16-bit Video Game Console to compete with Nintendo's NES Console, as the same goes with Sega with their console Sega Genesis. TG-16 was a head during it's time do to the types of formats. SNES and Sega Genesis cartridges looks larger compared to TG-16 Hu-Card (short for Hudson Card) formatted games. What was really great about TurboGrafx-16's Hu-Card cartridges is that they were very, very, very close being the size of a credit/debit card. This makes it easy for NEC to make a portable version of TurboGrafx 16 called TurboExpress (appears on the left).

Another great thing about TG-16 is that it has an extension slot for the TurboGrafx-CD, making Turbo Grafix the first console that uses CDs as a format of gaming. Monster Lair (Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair) and Fighting Street (Street Fighter) were the initial TurboGrafx-CD titles.

Thats the biggest reason why I love about TG-16 is that it's very upgradeable, same goes with SNES and Sega Genesis, not like todays gaming, you didn't have to run out to get a entirely different model of the exact console cause it has more features. But sad to say, NEC didn't really made it far, most of the time you would of heard "Nintendo VS. Sega", not "Nintendo VS. Sega VS. NEC", I am not sure why TG-16 wasn't a great success, but it was a pretty fun console. Although I didn't have any extensions for TG-16 and have a few Hu-Card cartridges, I thought it was a great console, some of the games I though was great was Final Lap Twin, Pac-Land, and Keith Courage in Alpha Zones.


No comments:

Post a Comment